Monday, December 4, 2006
The 23 Things
Hello! Glad you stopped by.
Listed below are 23 Things that you can do on the web to explore and expand your knowledge of the Internet and Web 2.0. SJPL & SJSU library employees are encouraged to complete all 23 items on this list by March 30, 2007 in order to to receive a flash drive and be eligible for other prizes. Non-regular staff members, please note that you will need to do the lessons outside working hours. Also, you are ineligible for any incentives offered. If you are not a SJSU or SJPL employee, you are welcome to follow along, however the library cannot award you any prizes for completion. We will add your blog to our participants page if you are interested.
The links below will take you to each week's specific lesson whereas the Exercises link on this page over there on the left side takes you to all of the weeks on one page.
Please begin by reading the About page. This page gives answers to frequently asked questions (FAQs).
Week 1: Introduction ( official start of week January 8, 2007)
1. Read this blog & find out about the program.
2. Discover a few pointers from lifelong learners and learn how to nurture your own learning process.
Week 2: Blogging
3. Set up your own blog & add your first post.
4. Register your blog and begin your Learning 2.0 journey.
Week 3: Photos & Images
5. Explore Flickr and learn about this popular image hosting site.
6. Have some Flickr fun and discover some Flickr mashups & 3rd party sites.
7. Create a blog post about anything technology related that interests you this week.
Week 4: RSS & Newsreaders
8. Learn about RSS feeds and set up your own Bloglines newsreader account.
9. Locate a few useful library related blogs and/or news feeds.
Week 5: Play Week
10. Play around with an online image generator.
11. Explore any site from the Web 2.0 awards list, play with it and write a blog post about your findings.
12. Roll your own search tool with Rollyo.
Week 6: Tagging, Folksonomies & Technorati
13. Learn about tagging and discover Del.icio.us (a social bookmaking site)
14. Explore Technorati and learn how tags work with blog posts.
15. Read a few perspectives on Web 2.0, Library 2.0 and the future of libraries and blog your thoughts.
Week 7: Wikis
16. Learn about wikis and discover some innovative ways that libraries are using them.
17. Add an entry to the Learning 2.0 SandBox wiki.
Week 8: Online Applications & Tools
18. Take a look at some online productivity (word processing, spreadsheet) tools.
19. Take a look at LibraryThing and catalog some of your favorite books.
Week 9: Podcasts, Video & Downloadable audio
20. Discover YouTube and a few sites that allow users to upload and share videos.
21. Podcasts (You don’t need an iPod!).
22. eBooks and Audio eBooks
23. Summarize your thoughts about this program on your blog.